Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Your Body Your Planet

Sierra Club


It’s easy to compartmentalize our choices in life - it’s what we need to do in order to dash through the exhaustive to-do lists beeping at us all day long on our blackberries and blinding us with pop-up appointments across the computer screen. What we sometimes don’t have time to reflect on is how those day-to-day choices intersect with one another. I’ve got my hand in several great books right now about nutrition, the climate change, the coming health crisis, the impacts of our global economy and the hidden costs of cheap consumer goods. It’s not usually my style to be involved in so many leisure academic activities at once, but I feel like I literally opened the NYT book review one Sunday and found the publishing houses under a siege of all the soap boxes and rants I’ve been chasing people around at dinner parties with for the last 15 years.

Thus, the Sacred Harvest blog - the place where I will muse on topics such as:

* What does the childhood obesity epidemic have in common with climate change?

* How are international human rights connected to conspicuous consumption in the United States?

* What is the common denominator between fast food and poverty?

* Can you implement sustainable living practices and simultaneously reverse stress related health disorders?

* What are the global impacts of our food choices?

* Are "green products" the real answer to the environmental crisis? What are the impacts of production and distribution of so-called "eco-friendly" products?


Welcome to the Sacred Harvest! I look forward to your comments and participation as I build this site out. I hope it can be a place of community development and discussion where we all learn how to lighten our footprints and embrace the sacredness of daily life on this amazing planet we call home.

No comments: